Considering an independent career path? You may be surprised to know that you’re far from alone; 17.7 million Americans have already worked independently in their careers, contributing over $1 trillion to our economy in 2013 alone. Flexible schedules, control over your work, being your own boss and doing the work you love are all powerful draws to being an independent consultant.
But it’s difficult to start your own business… right?
Not necessarily. To help you out as you venture further down the path to self-employment, we’ve reached out to MBO Partners, a leading provider of management services for independent professionals to provide some information that we think you will find of value if you are thinking about being an independent consultant.
We recently hosting a webinar with MBO that outlined actionable tips you can use in your path to success, including contracts & SOWs, time tracking, taxation, invoicing, etc. You can view the webinar here.
Didn’t make the webinar? MBO has provided the information below on the services they provide independent consultants. We think its a great resource for you, our job seekers, as you learn to navigate the contracting world.
1. State of Independence in America research report: Every year, MBO Partners teams up with independent firm Emergent Research to take a pulse on America’s independents. In the report PDF, you’ll find information on how many independents work in America, their demographics, how they feel about independence and what the future trends indicate. The research has been cited in CNN, Forbes, Huffington Post and Harvard Business Review.
2. The Independent’s Guide: For a more nuts-and-bolts approach to independent consulting, the Independent’s Guide is a collection of how-to’s and tips for every stage of an independent career. Learn how to find your first clients, negotiate contracts, market your solo business and hire on new help. We are constantly updating this knowledge bank, so check in from time to time to see what’s new.
3. Bill Rate Calculator: Whether you’re just starting out or you’re an experienced consultant, creating and updating your bill rate can be confusing. We developed this handy tool to give you a more empirical approach to creating your bill rate; the BRC will ensure that you didn’t leave out any expenses or costs on your way to crafting the right rate for your solo business.
4. Webinars: Got an hour to take a more detailed look into a topic? Well, grab your popcorn and kick back, because MBO has hours of recorded expert webinars on topics ranging from business development to keeping a healthy work-life balance.
5. Meet the Independents: So, you’ve seen the stats and the data, but what do independent professionals actually look like? We have collected profiles of successful independents from across the country, including pictures and interviews in our interactive map. While you’re checking out the resources, you’re bound to come up with one or two questions about what this all means for you. To speak with an expert about your consulting questions, you can email MBO partners at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll have an expert address your concern quickly and accurately.
Hey, let’s face it – making a big career move isn’t an easy decision. The more you know, and the more resources you have, the more well-founded your decision will be, no matter what you choose. Just keep this in mind; the independent movement is rapidly becoming mainstream in America. You may be working for yourself, but you are most certainly not working alone. Knowing where to get help and answers to your questions takes some of the uncertainty out of the equation.